|REPORTS TO:||Building Manager|
|HOURS||37.5 hours/week (including working evenings and weekends)|
To assist in maintaining the daily cleanliness, safety and upkeep of Boyle Street Community Services Community Centre in accordance with established agency standards and as governed by health and safety regulations.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Completes general cleaning duties in accordance with established cleaning schedule
- Monitors building cleaning requirements and reports needed repairs or health and safety concerns to the Building Manager
- Performs limited grounds maintenance including ensuring sidewalks are swept and free of trash and shoveling/salting sidewalks as required
- Ensures cleaning supplies are in stock and used responsibly
- May be assigned special cleaning responsibilities after hours (following Overtime Agreement)
- Promotes a friendly, accepting atmosphere that encourages individuals and families to use the community center
- Assists service users by referring them to the appropriate program or outreach worker
- Works with community volunteers in clean-up of Drop-In Centre and other general cleaning tasks
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and other organizational events
- Submits bi-weekly time sheets according to established procedures
- Maintains daily duty log
- Maintains inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment
- Prepares lists of supplies and equipment needed for purchasing to the Building Manager
- At least 2 years’ experience in a Janitorial role
- Documented proof of a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Information System check
Skills, Abilities and Attitudes
- Great attention to detail and excellent organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively
- Knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, products and equipment
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Ability to read and understand labels and instructions
- Ability to work under little supervision
- Works with initiative, commitment and enthusiasm.
- Proven ability to work in a respectful and client centered manner.
- Able to plan and make decisions in a timely, organized and appropriate manner.
- Able to work effectively as a team as well as independently
- Able to work in a stressful environment and deal with difficult, sometimes abusive, clients.
- Possess robust mental and physical health and a commitment to self-care.
This is a physically demanding position. You must spend a lot of time standing, walking, lifting heavy objects, operating cleaning equipment, sweeping and mopping floors and moving furniture. You will have to stretch and bend in awkward positions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
Conditions of Work
Janitors work on a daily basis with chemical and cleaning products that can have a strong and sometimes unpleasant smell. Janitorial staff regularly clean up blood, saliva and other bodily fluids that are unpleasant to deal with.
Boyle Street Community Services values diversity and welcomes applications from First Nation, Inuit, Métis, New Canadian, racialized, differently abled and LGBTTQIA communities.
Please email your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
Please include Building Janitor in the Subject Line of the email.
Closing Date: Until Suitable Candidate is Found