|JOB TITLE:||Follow Up Support Worker – Housing Services|
|REPORTS TO:||Assistant Manager/Team Lead in Housing Services|
|SALARY:||$38,400 – $48,000, Benefits after probationary period|
The Follow-Up Support Worker will assist recently housed individuals and families in maintaining their housing by supporting them in connecting to community resources and accessing services to meet basic needs. The Housing Support Worker will work in partnership with the housing worker, the landlord, and other agencies as necessary to ensure a coordination of services.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Building relationships and rapport with individuals and families that are referred to the program
- Assessing clients’ issues and needs in order to assist, support, and advocate with or for them in obtaining basic needs.
- Assisting clients in accessing household goods and furniture needed to establish a home.
- Arranging other support services such as Home Care when necessary.
- Supporting clients with medical and legal appointments.
- Coordinating food bank pick up and deliveries to clients.
- Promoting healthy lifestyles by sharing with clients’ nutritional information.
- Supporting clients in personal hygiene and basic housekeeping skills.
- Providing crisis intervention services as needed; including follow-up services until crisis situation has stabilized.
- Providing emotional support to clients;
- Partnership responsibilities including but not limited to: intake, partnership meetings, case conferencing, training and committees.
- Working co-operatively as part of a team. Team expectations include: regular meetings, planning events and other related activities.
- Performing other related duties as assigned by the Manager/Assistant Manager which may include: supervising students, organizing program events outside of the regularly scheduled work hours and groups. Qualifications
- Degree or equivalent. Candidates without a degree but who have post-secondary education and relevant and related experience will also be considered.
Skill, Abilities and Attitudes
- A strong commitment to upholding the values of Boyle Street Community Services.
- (See a list of the values at: http://boylestreet.org/who-we-are/mission-and-history/)
- Great attention to detail and excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Works with initiative, commitment and enthusiasm.
- Ability to solve problems for clients quickly, creatively and ethically.
- Proven ability to work in a respectful and client centered manner.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint)
- Able to communicate effectively and have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrates commitment and innovation to their work.
- Capable of supervising and motivating practicum students and/or volunteers.
- Able to plan and make decisions in a timely, organized and appropriate manner.
- Able to work effectively as a team as well as independently
- Flexible and adaptable to change.
- Able to identify and maximize relevant opportunities.
- Clients may at times be aggressive, must have de-escalation skills.
Experience and Knowledge
- At least 2 years of experience of delivering community based services.
- Knowledge of Landlord and Tenant Legislation.
- Knowledge of evidence based practices, motivational interviewing skills and cognitive behavioral techniques.
- Experience of networking with a range of partners and stakeholders.
- Experience of working at all levels across teams and/or departments within an organization.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of poverty related issues, trends and services particularly within, but not limited to the urban aboriginal population is essential.
- Local travel on behalf of clients and the agency is required must have a valid class 5 license and reliable vehicle
- Criminal record and Child and Youth Information Systems check are required.
- Boyle Street Community Services values diversity and welcomes applications from First Nation, Inuit, Métis, New Canadian, racialized, differently abled and LGBTTQIA communities.
Please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include Follow-Up Support Worker in the Subject Line of the email.
Closing Date: Until Suitable Candidate is Found