|JOB TITLE:||Winter Warming Bus Support Worker|
|REPORTS TO:||24/7 Outreach and Support Services Manager|
|HOURLY WAGE:||$18-$19.94 per hour|
|HOURS:||2PM-10PM, 5 days a week or 2 days a week depending on shift availability|
Boyle Street Community Services’ Winter Warming Bus runs from 2 PM-10 PM, seven days a week until April 30.
The purpose of the Winter Warming Bus is to:
- Deliver life-saving, survival based services to those living outside around the city.
- Link people with services and programs at services providers appropriate for their needs.
- Connect with other Winter Emergency Response Drop In’s to ensure coordination of services.
- Transport people downtown to emergency shelters when appropriate
The position does require working weekends and some split shifts during the week.
This position is contingent on funding for the Winter Warming Bus.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interact with community members effectively:
- Identify and address emergency needs.
- De-escalate highly charged emotional situations.
- Refer and connect individuals to other services providers to help meet long term needs.
- Be part of a team that helps maintain the security and consistency of the Winter Warming Bus.
- Record data about access to the Bus services and complete daily activity logs.
- Post secondary education in the Human Services would be an asset
Skills, Abilities and Attitudes:
- Understands the challenges and stresses facing people who live in poverty.
- Experience working with Aboriginal peoples and individuals from diverse cultures.
- Treats people with respect and in a sensitive manner.
- Knows how to problem-solve with people who face emotional and psychological challenges.
- Able to handle multiple demands at the same time; exceptionally well organized.
- Can de-escalate tense inter-personal and group situations.
- Listens well, has a calm demeanor and knows how to solve practical problems.
- Experience organizing group recreational activities.
- Comfortable completing shift reports and doing some data entry.
- For drivers, a Class 4 License is required
- Physically fit. Should possess the physical ability to respond quickly to, and deescalate effectively, difficult, potentially volatile situations in a confined space.
- Criminal and Child and Youth Information system checks must be completed by the successful applicant prior to work commencement
- Boyle Street Community Services values diversity and welcomes applications from First Nation, Inuit, Métis, New Canadian, racialized, differently abled and LGBTTQIA communities.
Please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include Winter Warming Bus Support Worker in the Subject Line of the email. Please state in the cover letter how you heard about the position.
Closing Date: As soon as suitable candidates are found