|Job Title||Youth Education/Employment Readiness Worker|
|Reports to:||Employment Services Manager|
|Hours:||37.5 hours/week working 8:30AM-5PM|
Boyle Street Community Services is seeking a Youth Education/Employment Readiness Worker for its Water Wings Employment Readiness Program. The position focuses on preparing individuals, especially youth, for the world of work by improving their employment readiness skills with the end result being:
- They function with greater confidence and competence in society.
- They increase their chance of gaining employment.
- They are ready for further education/upgrading.
- Enabling some to enter the Trades
- Improvement of computer literacyKEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Establish relationships with local high schools, youth agencies and other organizations that specialize in Youth services
- Deliver the program to Youth ages 16-29 onsite or offsite
- Report all Outreach activities to the program
- Help participants prepare resumes and cover letters, search for jobs; coach participants prior to job interviews and provide assistance with job retention strategies
- Connect participants to teachers or tutors who can instruct Math, English Language Arts, and Science in preparation for the Trades Entrance Exam or for entrance into a college program
- Teach all aspects of computer literacy, incl. using word-processing software, navigating the Internet, and familiarizing students with Windows operating system
- Keep accurate, detailed records of participant’s activities, achievements, challenges
- Keep and manage basic financial records such as expenses
- Guide and motivate individuals of all ages, especially Youth
- Work well with others incl. volunteers, practicum students, and case workers
- Work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor of Education degree preferred
- Some prior work experience in Youth programming, preferred
- Career Development Practitioner or similar designation, considered an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong ability to connect one-on-one with youth and to assess their work readiness, career and educational needs
- Familiarity with educational resources available throughout the city and on the Internet
- Experience/knowledge of a variety of working environments and trades
- Experience working with people facing multiple barriers is preferred
- Self-motivated, self-directed and flexible
- Reliable, proven excellent work attendance record
- Love for teaching and learning, able to give effective group presentations
- Adept at using computers with a good working knowledge of MS Office
- Criminal Record Check must be completed by the successful applicant prior to work commencement
- Vulnerable Sector Check must be completed upon hire
Experience and Knowledge:
- Knowledge and experience of Aboriginal and multicultural communities is essential
- An understanding of poverty and marginalization and of how and why it affects those we serve is essentia
Boyle Street Community Services values diversity and welcomes applications from Aboriginal, New Canadian, visible minority, disabled and LGBTQ communities.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Employment Readiness Worker in the Subject Line of the email. Please state in the cover letter how you heard about the position.
January 12, 2018